Thursday, September 22, 2011

School!!

Well I actually started school the day after I arrived in Sucre, so now that I've been going for 3 weeks now I think it deserves a blog post. I attend El Colegio de Juan Enrique Pestalozzi. It is considered the best school in Sucre, or so I've been told, and is run by a German program. From what I understand, my school is run by Germans, and there is a sister school in Germany.

School for me is from 8am to 1pm. Then, on Wednesdays and Thursdays, I also have school from 2:30 to 4pm. There are about 25 people in my class, and WHOLE GRADE, and for the whole school (grades 1-12) there are a total of about 350 students. It is so neat to have all of the little kids running around screaming and playing tag during our breaks. Many of my classmates have younger siblings in the school also so almost everybody knows everybody else (part of that might be because of the size too).

En mi colegio, the teachers come to the students. So, each grade only has one classroom.  My classes include everything under the sun: Biology, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Calculus, Grammar, Literature, History, P.E., Art, Music, Civics, Geography, Ethics and Morals, and Philosophy. Don't worry though, I don't have every class every day. The classes switch and alternate in some sort of funky schedule that I still haven't figured out, but it ends up that I have each class about twice a week. Some more than others, because Art I only have once a week.

The classes aren't too hard. Here, I'm in the 12th grade, and since school ends and everybody graduates in November, the teachers are pretty much done teaching. We normally do a little bit of work but not much. And here's where I get lucky: because I'm an exchange student, I'm not expected to do anything but try and learn and improve my Spanish. This means no homework! Or any school work of any kind. It's nice just having to show up and not have anything expected of me for once. Don't get me wrong, even though nothing is expected, I'm still learning. I remember my first day of school, I didn't understand anything any of the teachers said. And now, I understand almost everything. Take today for example, in Literature this afternoon we ended up watching the movie Black Swan, and I actually understood enough to get some of the jokes made in the movie! Everyday Spanish gets easier and easier, so much so that Rotary might just be right that it'll only take 3 months for me to be fluent, I am looking really looking forward to that day!
                                           ~Tengo que dormir, Hasta MaƱana!

2 comments:

  1. Your Aunt Sonya and I enjoyed the awesome post (the last one too). Glad you are enjoying school. We don't use Facebook (by choice) so post some pictures on here for goodness sake! You could always email if you feel like it and set up a time for a Skype session so we could get a look at you.

    Hasta luego y salud.

    Aunt Sonya and Uncle Cline

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I'm saying this because I think of myself as being rather computer savvy but I have no clue how to post photos...help? To start I'll e-mail you photos and then when i figure it out I'll post photos.

    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete